On September 26, 1869, four Brothers of the Sacred Heart opened St. Aloysius College in New Orleans in response to an invitation from Archbishop Jean-Marie Odin. The school was located in a brick building in the French Quarter at Chartres and Barracks streets. Through the untiring efforts of Brother Stanislaus Keating, first director of the school, it grew from a student body of 66 its first year. By the second year, a fifth Brother joined the staff which worked with the 120 boys, most of them sons of poor immigrants.
From these humble beginnings in 1869, grew Brother Martin High School with an enrollment of over 1,100 and over 14,000 alumni worldwide.
Membership in the Society of 1869 is offered to all those who share a commitment to the mission of Brother Martin High School and to the traditions of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart.
To become enrolled in the Society of 1869, an individual simply informs the Advancement Office that Brother Martin High School has been included in his or her estate plans.