Crusader Football - 4
Tie Again; Long Drive
Mark Ippolito 1974
Mark Ippolito corrals Kennedy runner.
Louis Ernst 1974
Louis Ernst launches a pass.
Freddie Martinez runs.
Freddie Martinez glides through the line.
Back-to-back football games in 1974 produced interesting results.

In the first district game, the Crusaders and De La Salle Cavaliers tied 14-14. This was the same score as the year before.

  • DT Mark Ippolito picked up a fumbled pitchout and scored.
  • The Cavs took a 14-7 lead before QB Lou Ernst drove BM 38y to score on a 2y run. Ernst himself kicked the PAT to tie the game.
  • There was no provision for OT for regular season games as yet.

The next week, St. Augustine's 10-7 halftime lead still held after Q3.

  • However, starting on the 25, the Sader wishbone cranked out a 17-play drive that consumed all but 1:05 of Q4.
  • BM converted four third downs along the way.
  • HB Freddie Martinez scampered 16y for the winning TD.
Brother Martn-St. Augustine 1974
Jimmy McNeil pulls one in over the St. Aug. secondary
The '74 Saders finished 8-1-1 for second place in district and a playoff berth. However, West Jefferson upended BM 7-3 in the first round.
Excellent PAT Defense
Holy Cross Football 1966
Garey Forster runs against Holy Cross in 1966.

The 1966 St. Aloysius Crusaders had a bad day against undefeated Holy Cross, losing 32-0 at City Park Stadium. However, the team set what might be a Crusader record by blocking three extra point attempts.

Coach Bill Arms' squad finished 6-4 for the season and 3-3 in District.

Victories: Lafayette (29-19), East Jefferson (13-3), Behrman (6-0), Rummel (26-13), Redemptorist (27-12), Shaw (39-13).

Defeats: Biloxi (26-6), Jesuit (13-7), Holy Cross (32-0), De La Salle (27-20)

Tiger Stadium Clash

On Sunday, October 29, 1939, the St. Aloysius Crusaders ran their record to 4-1 with a hard-fought 13-6 victory over the Catholic High Bears at "LSU Stadium," which sat 46,000 in its horseshoe.

  • The Saints marched to an easy TD a few moments after receiving the opening kickoff. A series of line bucks by FB Joe Glover and a 20-yard pass from Dutch Luthringshausen to Joe McDonald set up Dutch on an 8-yard end sweep into the EZ. The PAT failed. Glover had transferred that year with his brother, Coach Harry "Wop" Glover, from St. Stanislaus.
  • Luthringshausen shortly after stopped a Bear threat by intercepting a pass on his own 6 yard line. Glover punted out of danger. Leon Chaplain recovered a fumble to halt another CHS threat. Three plays later Luthringshausen circled end for 45 yards, the longest run of the game. However, the home team's D held.
  • CHS also stopped the Crusaders cold on the 14 after Charlie Erath recovered a Bruin fumble. The Bears kicked out of this tight spot, but Luthringshausen returned the ball to the 15. Again the Bears held and took over on downs.
  • Bernhardt and Harelson exhibited a fine running attack to give CHS their only score. Bernhardt climaxed the drive with a 36-yard run for a TD in Q4. DeLatte blocked Bernhard's try for PAT to keep the score tied.
  • It was then that the Crusaders struck like lightning to drive for winning TD. Freshman RB Johnny Campora smashed over LG for 28 and the winning tally. Glover made the extra point on a center buck.
1939 Football Team
Two Straight Thrillers
Football 1980
Mark Mire punting against Holy Cross in the Superdome

The 1980 Crusader Mean Machine played two straight district games that were decided in the last seconds.

  • The 4-1-1 Saders battled the Jesuit Blue Jays to a scoreless standoff at Tad Gormley Stadium. Finally, BM drove to the five with 19 seconds left. Out came junior backup QB Mark Mire to attempt his first FG of the season. He calmly booted it through the uprights for a 3-0 victory. "This game was meant for us," said Coach Bob Conlin afterwards.
  • The following week, Conlin's crew held a 9-7 lead over undefeated Rummel at East Jefferson Stadium. However, with seven seconds left, the Raider QB hurled a "Big Ben" pass that deflected to a receiver behind the defense, and he ran for the winning score. For the second week in a row, Conlin was philosophical. "It just wasn't meant to be."

The '80 gridders finished 6-3-1, missing the playoffs by one game.

Last Aloysius Football Game
The St. Aloysius gridders ended a disappointing 1968 season by defeating the Shaw Eagles 27-6 on homecoming night, Friday, November 8, at Tad Gormley Stadium.
  • After a scoreless Q1, senior Joe Winkler sprinted 37yd to paydirt after the D recovered a fumble on the Shaw 42.
  • An INT by senior John Schmidt set up the second scoring drive, which culminated in a 6yd pass from junior QB Denis Sabrio to junior FB Walter Schwander.
  • In Q4, the Crusaders iced the contest as Sabrio passed to senior E Al Briede for a 39yd TD.
  • Winkler had the privilege of scoring the last TD for the school with a 4yd plunge.
St. Aloysius-Shaw Football 1968St. Aloysius-Shaw Football 1968 - 2
Left: Al Briede receives a pass vs. Shaw 1968. Right: Richard Bordelon heads for the end zone.
The Crusaders finished the season 5-4-1. After starting 4-0 to rank second in the state, SA lost four straight, then tied Rummel, before salvaging the last contest.
Fifth Straight over Jays
Terry Richard
Terry Richard preparing to kick

The 1976 Crusaders finished only 5-5, with a 4-3 record in district. However, Bob Conlin's squad had several big wins.

  • The Knights defeated Jesuit for the fifth straight year. The Blue Jays hadn't bested the Saders since they handed the 1971 State Champs their only defeat. After falling behind 10-0 in Q1, Martin settled down and scored 34 unanswered points. Sophomore QB Buddy Abraham rushed for 102y out of the wishbone.
  • The following week, BM faced #7 Rummel in howling wind and torrential rain at East Jefferson Stadium. The Crusaders capitalized on a Raider fumble that set up a Terry Richard FG for the only points in a 3-0 upset.
  • The '76 season also featured the first game Brother Martin played in the one-year-old Superdome. Unfortunately, the Saders fell 27-12 to St. Augustine in the campaign's final game. After Chubby Marks' D stopped the opening drive, the Purple Knights punted out on the 7. On the first play from scrimmage, a Knight defender scooped up a fumble and ran into the EZ. St. Aug. never looked back.
Three Scoreless Ties in One Season
Coach Harry Glover
Coach Harry "Wop" Glover

Johnny Campora

The 1940 St. Aloysius gridders played three scoreless ties and won two of them. How is that possible, you ask? Let me explain.
  • Harry "Wop" Glover's second Crusader squad began the season with a 0-0 tie with Moss Point (MS) at City Park Stadium before "2,500 chilled spectators" on Thursday night, September 26. The contest proved to be an individual duel between Johnny Campora, SA's triple threat junior HB and the Tigers' running and passing star, J. T. Bishop. Shortly after halftime, Bishop actually got loose on a 44-yard scoring jaunt only to have it called back for offsides. The Saints held an 8-6 edge in first downs.
  • Three weeks later, after blasting the brand new prep team from Nicholls High School (today's Frederick Douglass) 40-0 and losing a hard-fought 20-6 game with Jesuit, SA tied Fortier 0-0 on Friday night, October 18, at City Park Stadium. 7,000 saw the Crusaders win the first-down battle 8-6 and therefore be credited with the victory according to Louisiana rules for league games. The Crimson Knights made the only concerted drive of the night near the end of Q3 from their own 11. They reached the Tarpon 20 before losing the ball on downs in Q4. Campora gained a chunk of his 138 yards for the night, ripping off repeated gains of 5 to 10 yards.
  • After a 31-0 romp over Behrman High School in Algiers, Glover's crew endured another night of futility against Warren Easton on Saturday, November 2 before 8500. Once again SA was declared the winner on the basis of their overwhelming first-down count of 10-3. Since the Eagles led in firsts at the half, 3-1, that means the Sader D held WE without a first down the entire second half. Total yardage was even more one-sided, 199 to 13. SA missed two golden opportunities after the intermission. A fumble on the 11 ended the first threat. But the Saints came right back to gain a first-and-goal on the 2. But the Eagle D rose up to stop Campora on fourth down.

Aloysius ended the 1940 season with the odd record of 3-3-3. Breaking ties by first down advantage or, if still tied, penetration of the opponent's 20 yard line, ended up not making any difference in the New Orleans prep league race as Jesuit swept through the season undefeated to win the state championship.

The tie-breaking rule would still be in effect 32 years later when another Crusader team, this one from Brother Martin, would collide with it in the state playoffs.

Second Straight 6-0 Start
The 1960 St. Aloysius Crusaders, like the 1959 squad, began the season 6-0, giving up only 7 points in that stretch. The team was coached by Andy Douglass with assistance from Bobby Nuss (in his last year before becoming head coach at Chalmette), and Jack Schommer. Andy expected this squad to be his best since taking the helm on Esplanade Avenue in 1953. In addition to the talent returning, a weight-lifting program initiated at the end of the 1959 season produced bigger, stronger players.
Tri-Captains 1960
  • Warren Easton fell in the opener 13-0 as junior Randy Oddo skirted LE for a 32y TD. The Saints scored again in the waning seconds of the game on QB Bobby Burns's sneak.
  • The next victim was Fortier, 39-0. The highlight of the bench-clearing rout was a 75y punt return by Anthony Hagstette.
SA-Fortier 1960
  • The defense allowed a TD, but the offense scored two in a 14-7 win at Bogalusa. Harry Stump scampered 33y for one of the Knight TDs.
  • Another road game brought the fourth victory, 7-0 over Terrebonne in Houma. A 34y pass from Burns to John Giambelluca set up the lone TD in Q3.
  • West Jefferson proved no match for the crimson juggernaut, 28-0. Oddo and Giambelluca combined for 212y rushing.
  • In the final tuneup before Catholic league play, the Saints ran roughshod over East Jefferson 27-0. Oddo raced 71 to paydirt after only 51 seconds of play. Hagstette added a 42y INT return.

Alas, the streak came to a thudding halt the following week. QB/TB Pat Screen led the Blue Jays to a 33-7 victory on their way to the state championship. The Saders rebounded with wins over Redemptorist (7-0), Holy Cross (14-13), and St. Stanislaus (32-7). However, with ten starters lost to injury and academics, the Saints fell to De La Salle 19-0. With no second place teams or wild cards in the playoffs in those days, SA finished 9-2, which is the best record by winning percentage in St. Aloysius history.

Four Straight
Robbie DeLord
Robbie DeLord looks to sidelines
before calling the defense.
The 1984 Crusaders won four straight district games in mid-season.
  • After losing to St. Augustine 37-14 to begin district play, the Saders nipped Holy Cross 17-16. Sophomore QB Garret Chachere led a final drive that started with 5:15 left and climaxed with a 4y TD pass to junior Jay Rink.
  • The following week, senior Robbie DeLord returned a kickoff 80y for a TD to spark the defeat of Rummel 14-10 at East Jefferson.
  • DeLord was the hero again with a 68y INT return in a 14-6 homecoming win over Chalmette.
  • Another one-point squeaker over De La Salle 13-12 ran the win streak to four before a 21-7 loss to Jesuit.
  • A 21-7 upset of the Shaw Eagles at City Park propelled the Crusaders into the playoffs with a 7-3 record.
  • The season ended with a 21-13 loss at Ehret in the first round.

The foundation had been laid for the outstanding 1985 season when Martin reached the state semifinals.

Coach Harry Glover
Harry "Wop" Glover


Coach Roy "Chief" Ary
Roy "Chief" Ary


Top of This Page

On Friday the 13th of November, 1942, St. Aloysius lost to Holy Cross 14-6 in an 8 pm game at City Park Stadium. The following Monday, the Crusader coach, Harry "Wop" Glover, left for Norfolk VA to join the Navy and enter former heavyweight boxing champion Gene Tunney's physical education corps.

  • Brother Ralph, S.C., the head basketball coach and Wop's football assistant, directed the team for its final game of the season. Playing in "a sea of mud" in a blinding rainstorm at City Park Stadium on Sunday afternoon, November 22, the Saints tied Nicholls 0-0. However, the game counted as a loss for prep standings since the Rebels led in first downs, 5-3. SA concluded the 1942 season with a 4-3-1 record.
  • When school began for the 1943-4 session, Brother Martin, serving as athletic director as well as principal, had still not hired a new football coach.
  • Finally, in mid-September, Brother Martin hired Roy "Chief" Ary away from Behrman High School in Algiers to coach the Crusaders. He gave Ary permission to lead the Bees in their opening game on September 14, a 24-6 loss to S. J. Peters. The next day, Brother Martin announced his new coach to the team and the public.
  • The New Orleans item story by Hap Glaudi on Ary's hiring stated: "Brother Ralph, who was handling the Crusader gridders in the absence of a head coach, will serve as assistant to Ary." [Several alumni from that team also mention Brother Jules as helping Brother Ralph.] Since the Crusaders wouldn't open their season until October 3 at Catholic High, Ary had several weeks to prepare the squad.
  • A September 28 Times-Picayune article by Carol Hart, headlined "Ary Is Facing Difficult Job," talks about the inexperienced team the new coach inherited. It also contains this startling paragraph.

    Brother Martin Preps Line
    Assisting Ary is Brother Martin, who handled the team alone for two weeks before the new coach was signed. Brother Martin is out every day to practice and has been working with the linemen while Coach Ary has been devoting his time to the backs.

  • I have spoken to three members of the 1943 team, and none of them remembers their principal coaching the team. In fact, they all confirm Brother Ralph as the coach before Ary took over. Carol Hart obviously didn't know one brother from another.
  • In late October, the Picayune reported that Brother Armand, S.C., had taken over as AD for Brother Martin, "whose duties were too numerous to continue in that capacity."
  • The green Crusaders, who returned only four lettermen from 1942, won just one of eight games in 1943. However, the experience set the stage for a much better season in 1944, including the school's first victory over Jesuit.

As an ironic twist to this story, "Chief" was one of the nicknames the brothers gave Brother Martin because he was part Indian.

Brother Martin Hernandez. S.C.
Brother Martin, S.C.

Brother Ralph, S.C.
Brother Ralph, S.C.

Brother Armand, S.C.
Brother Armand, S.C.