In 1821, during the aftermath of the French Revolution, a young diocesan priest, Father Andre Coindre, founded the Institute of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart in Lyon France. The Preamble to the Brothers’ Rule of Life states, “to rescue young people from ignorance, to prepare them for life, and to give them knowledge and love of religion.” This was Father Coindre’s mission, and though he did not live long enough to see the order thrive after its difficult first years, the Brothers of the Sacred Heart today remain true to the mission.
The Brothers’ first venture into North America was in Mobile, Alabama in 1847. Brother Polycarp responded to the invitation of Bishop Michael Portier and sent five brothers to the United States and the order began its transformation from a French congregation to a worldwide institute. In 1869, New Orleans Archbishop Jean-Marie Odin invited the Brothers to open a school in New Orleans, and St. Aloysius opened on September 26, 1869 with six students.
The Brothers of the Sacred Heart serve in over thirty countries in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia.
Visit the link below to see the Community Song of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart sung at the Installation of Provincial Leadership of the Province of the United States on July 19, 2014 in Metuchen, NJ.Click here for video